An experiential course in discerning listening
Whirlow Spirituality Centre hosts this course, led by its chaplain Joy Adams and an ecumenical team, in partnership with St Peter's College and Sheffield Diocese.
The aims of the course are to:
- introduce Spiritual Accompaniment
- enable growth in the ministry of Spiritual Accompaniment through prayer, listening and reflection.
- explore and practice a range of approaches to prayer
- develop discerning listening
- explore key themes of spiritual accompaniment
It is particularly suitable for people who:
- find themselves drawn to listening to others’ faith journeys
- wish to develop further in their ability to listen to God in the lives of others
- sense a call to the ministry of Spiritual Accompaniment (Spiritual Direction)
- are companioning others on their journey and wish to develop this ministry
- have completed the ‘Spiritual Growth & Transformation’ course or the equivalent. This course will build upon the work covered in ‘Spiritual Growth and Transformation’, which is considered as Part 1 of the training.
This is an experiential rather than an academic course, open to all in a church or other Christian community. This course has been developed over the last 15 years by an ecumenical team. The programme of Spiritual Accompaniment in the diocese of Sheffield is led by the Bishop's Adviser in Spirituality. More details can be found in the brochure.
Participants are encouraged to get their church and/or other supporting bodies (Grants are available from Whirlow Grange Ltd) to contribute to their fees. The full fees (which cover the provision of all resources, food and refreshments) are £430 per person and can be paid in 6 monthly instalments.
Course Dates Thursdays 9.30am-4.30pm
2018 27 Sept 11 & 25 Oct 8 & 22 Nov 6 Dec
2019 10 & 24 Jan 7 & 21 Feb 7 & 21 Mar
All sessions will be held at Whirlow Spirituality Centre at the Chapel of the Holy Spirit, Whirlow Grange Drive, Sheffield S11 9RX
If you are interested in the course, please complete the application form and send it to the address indicated together with the completed recommendation forms. The forms and brochure can also be obtained by calling 01709 309116.
Closing date for applications is Friday 16th June 2018
All applicants will have a meeting with members of the course team to explore and discern participation. These will be held in June and July 2018.