Music for the Spirit
Whirlow has been home to the highly successful ‘We who sing pray twice’ events for over six years, but other musical activity has largely consisted of recordings and occasional hymns and songs in the monthly reflective worship and weekly communion services.
The Chaplain at Whirlow Spirituality Centre, Joy Adams and David Quinney have been working for almost a year to arrange a series of recitals and concerts in the Chapel of the Holy Spirit at Whirlow.
The programme will introduce chamber-style classical music events recognising the spiritual dimension of music, to use it to celebrate the unique atmosphere and ideal setting of the Chapel. The series will also seek to increase the attraction of local residents to the Spirituality Centre that was originally built to be their place of worship.
The series is intended to offer musical performances resonating with the reflective, meditative and affirmative style of this special place. Invitations have been made to five performers and ensembles, as follows:
· Friday 19 May 7.30pm: Hallam Sinfonia String Quartet
· Saturday 3 June 7.30pm: Lucy Phillips (Violin) and David Hammond (Piano)
· Friday 30 June 7.30pm: Chloe Saywell (Soprano), Stephanie Pitts (Piano) and Matthew Redfearn (Trumpet and Flugelhorn)
· Saturday 23 September 7.30pm: Wind Quintet under the direction of Martin Lightowler
· Saturday 28 October 7.30pm: Simeon Wood (Flute and other wind instruments including NHS walking stick!)
Bookings can be made online - including a saving of £5 if you book all 5 concerts together.